Procedure for Document Corrections like COC, COE, DCE, GMDSS COP and Rating watch keeping
Certificates are prone to mistakes either due to the typographic errors or due to change to the name in the Seafarers passport.
DCE, GMDSS COP and Rating watch keeping certificates are issued by MMD’s or Facilitation centres so the Document correction application should be forwarded to the issuer of the document that is the MMD concerned.
COC and COE issued by DGS will be handled by DGS Engineering and Nautical branch as the case may be. The second case where there are Changes in COC/COE due to the seafarers change in personal documents.
The application is to be made to DGS through the MMD’s as a change of name application or Document correction with the necessary fees. We endeavour to minimise the typo errors in documents issued by this office by the new online system. Still due to manual intervention at some stages we still face the challenge of typographic errors. Hence we develop this procedure for handling these Typographic errors.
Standard Operating Procedure for handling Typographic errors:
1) An application made to the DGS with a letter and copy of the COC/COE.
2) The Application is received in the Engineering Branch / Nautical Branch.
3) The error as mentioned is checked by the Section In charge, in the DGS records and also in the DGS website by entering the INDOS number.
4) Error in the COC is handled by clearly marking the error by a star sign and giving reference to where (on which page) the correction is made in the original COC.
5) COC/COE is put up for verification and signatures to E&SS/DyCS/NS/DyNA.
6) If seafarer is sailing and original COC is unavailable for making corrections, a letter is issued to facilitate him to sail without any trouble of external agencies like PSC regimes.
7) After making this change, the change is updated online in governance.
8) The case is filed in the COC/COE error file.
9) The original COC or the letter for the error is issued and collected either by the candidate or a person authorised by him. (Time required for the application to be processed and error correction is 4-5 working days.)